Monday, September 22, 2014

North Carolina VII

In this, the third and final post from Durham, I want to share a few more of the details of this remarkable site.

The reverse side of the "Book" makes a number of statements and clarifications not often seen at these sites. It is obvious that much thought and devotion went in to the planning and rebuilding of this monument.



This is the first memorial I have seen to combine Vietnam with September 11th. The glare from the sum made this particularly hard to read, so here is what it says.

We fought in the North
We fought in the South
Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos

Dedicated August 8, 1992
Vandalized January 30, 2001
Restored
Rededicated in the Millenium year 
of our Lord
Sunday Veteran's Day
November 11, 2001
A tribute
In memory of September 11, 2001
Let us as a people never forget
It is all about time
The past, the present, the future



The opposite panel explains the various symbols found on the memorial, and there are many. Again, a lot of thought and effort went into creating this site.


This thought is reflected at many sites and is worth remembering.


As long time readers will recall, I am always pleased to find memorials that include the noble dogs (War Dogs) that worked with us. protected us and were our friends during this difficult time. I had a dog in 'Nam, not an Army dog, just a dog and she was the best. I tried to bring her home with me, but she had a batch of 10 puppies just weeks after we cleared animal husbandry. So, I could not afford to bring the pups (it cost two months pay just to bring her) and I could not abandon them so I passed "Short timer" and the pups on to a buddy, it nearly broke my heart. 


You are most likely aware that, now, many of these great animals come home with their "person", but this was not always the case. These dogs were just abandoned in Vietnam, I do not know if we even know how many, after protecting us, were just left to fend for them selves. It still is one of (the many) things that infuriate me.

I have often said that one of the "Silver Linings" of Vietnam is that we have learned to never treat a returning vet like that again. Perhaps, another is that we now allow the dogs to come home, too. I am not sure if this always happens, but at least sometimes it does.

Next time, on the 27th, we return to Pennsylvania, so join me there at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from North Carolina, or any other state, click on the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment