Tuesday, September 2, 2014

New Mexico V

In Northern New Mexico lies the town of Springer. It is west of Taos and south of Trinidad, Colorado. I have attempted to get there before but was unable to do so. I was recently in Colorado and managed to get down to Springer and am really thrilled that I did.

In front of the "Old Colfax Court House" on Maxwell Ave is a small, enclosed area that is replete with memorials and remembrances. A couple, like the Vietnam Memorial are made of stone, but several others are carved wooded tributes, all done by the same man, "Eugene."





The Vietnam Memorial lists the fifty-one names of those from the area that served. There are no designations as to KIA/MIA so one assumes, hopes, that all returned safely.





Within one of the wood carvings, all from tree trunks or limbs, is this plaque. It honors all who have served, from WWI to Iraq and Afghanistan.




 I know that I repeat myself. Please indulge me. What small towns, like Springer, do for their vets is, so often, astounding. Thank you Springer.

On the 7th, at 9:00am, we will venture back to New York. See you there!

To see other memorials from New Mexico, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment