Monday, October 7, 2013

Idaho III



I had read something about Vietnam memorials at Mountain Home Air Force Base in Idaho, so I started planning to visit. For reasons I don't quite know, I decided to call them to see about this. I was told in a friendly, yet firm, way that this was not going to happen! I was not going to be allowed on the base. I continued talking with the guy on the phone and explained this project further and after a while he said he would check with his superiors and get back to me. I didn't hold out much hope.

A couple of days later he called back and was happy to inform me that permission had been granted and that I was to call him from the front gate when I arrived. We determined a date and an approximate time so that he could be sure to be there.

On the appointed day, I did as I was instructed and a very cordial 2nd Lt. met me. (Boy, did I feel old!)



Many of the memorials here highlight specific planes and tell their story in 'Nam.



This site commemorates Medal Of Honor Awardees from various wars. Vietnam is well represented.

This young man could not have been more accommodating or helpful. He drove me to the site and explained what he knew. Vietnam had ended 25 years before he was born, but he helped all that he could. He later gave me a brief tour of the base and I have wondered since what I didn't get to see and I never did find out what nearly barred me in the beginning. I have been to lots of bases and some are wide open and others I had no shot of getting on. In Florida, I was warned to not even look as if I was going to take a picture (from outside the gate) if I wanted to keep my camera. So, I am very grateful to the Lieutenant for going the extra mile and getting me permission to get these shots.

Next time, come with me to Illinois to see a small town memorial site. As always at 9:00am on October 12th.



To see other memorials from Idaho, or any other state, click the states name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment