Thursday, December 13, 2012

Missouri V

Located south of St. Louis, Cape Girardeau sits very near the Illinois State line. As I traveled there I was caught in two different (I think) tornadoes. The area had recently been experiencing many storms and Joplin was particularly hard hit. I saw lots of devastation, in fact, it reminded me of 'Nam. I was able to get out of harms way but it was quite an experience.

The memorial in Cape Girardeau is a simple tribute, made of Missouri white marble, to the 19 men from the area, who are among the 1411 from Missouri, who were lost. It sits on the grounds of the Common Pleas Court House Park Lawn, on Spanish Street, along with some other war time tributes.


Recently, I have been hearing more talk of war, too often from those who have never worn a uniform or looked down the barrel of someone else's rifle. I have commented before about how eagerly these types send other peoples kids to war! It made me think of what the Presiding County Commissioner, Gerald Jones, said at the July 4th, 2006, dedication of this memorial.

"Real patriotism requires more than posting a flag in your yard. It requires action, commitment and a willingness to sacrifice for your country-like our Vietnam veterans."

Join me again on the 18th as we visit Carthage. As always, at 9:00am

No comments:

Post a Comment