Sunday, October 31, 2010

In memorium

Long time readers of this site will remember that I lost my younger brother last year. In fact, one year ago today.

In the ensuing year I have had much time to think about all this and this what I have learned.

Be the best brother (or sister) you can be!

I have spent a lot of time this last twelve months regretting that I did not do so! It is not that I was a bad brother, just not a very good one. I spent too much time thinking about where we differed, rather than about where we agreed. I spent too much time rehearsing arguments and points of view, rather than just saying "I love you" and to hell with our disagreements!

Some of you are feuding with family. Stop it! Forget the argument, the difference, the slight (real or imagined) Say "I'm sorry" or whatever it takes to mend the rift. You will not regret it.

And, if something terrible and unexpected happens, you will not spend the rest of your life wondering if it had to be, or if you could have done something to make it better, wishing that you had said "Denny, I love you" one more time rather than "Denny, I miss you and I wish I had been a better brother", forever.

1 comment:

  1. Michael,

    Your loss, correction OUR loss has been my gain. I've made more effort to show up in the last year. Heck, even you've seen me... first time in how long? I've been to the east coast twice and managed to see Dan too.

    It has been easy over the years to just give events a pass. Think of how much fun I'd have missed if I'd skipped North Carolina?

    My promise is to be a better sister, cousin and friend. I miss you Denny. I love you Mike.

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete