Friday, July 19, 2024

Mississippi IX

Ocean Springs, as I am sure I have mentioned before, is very special to me as it was the site of my very first venture into this project. It happened simply by chance. I had retired and decided to tag along with my wife on a business trip she had to Pascagoula. We had talked many times about my desire to begin this project but that was as far as it ever got: talking.  

She left our hotel in Biloxi that first day to go to her meetings. Within ten minutes she had called me and said the Mississippi Vietnam memorial was nearby and that I should begin this project NOW. 

I did just that and the rest as we say is history. You can see those very first photographs here, here, and here, to name but a few.

Also previously stated is the fact that actual photographs of our lost brothers an sisters are fairly rare, so when I have the chance I will always post them here.

Today, a few more.



One of my great regrets is that when I started this endeavor I did not think that I would in fact be posting faces. The Faces of Remembrance sub-group to this site was way off in the future at this time. so, I did not record the names of those who are honored in Ocean Springs. their names are listed at the site, but alas, I did not think to record them. If you are ever in Ocean Springs which is about 10 miles east of Biloxi you will see the memorial on the right hand side of the road. 

Check it out: say their names.

For now that is it. I may be able to pull a few more faces off the memorial in the future. If I am successful, count on seeing them here.

Next time, on the 24th, we will revisit Missouri, so join me there, as usual, at 9:00 am.

To see additional memorials from Mississippi, or any other state, please click on a state name on the left side of this page. Please note that Canada, Ireland, and Puerto Rico have been added to the list.

If you are following along at all, you will have seen that a number of you, like Joan from Wisconsin, Tony from Texas, Mike from Maryland, Ron, and Molly from Florida have responded to my request to send me memorials you have seen in your area or where you may have traveled. I even got one from Ireland! These submissions help expand the knowledge of how we have remembered the men and women who served or were lost in 'Nam and you help to honor them. If you have any such photos, I would love to see them. Please send them along to the email at the left and I will gladly share them here. Thanks, once again, to all who have contributed.

No comments:

Post a Comment