Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Missouri XI

It happens that I sometimes discover that I think that I have made a post from a certain place only to find out that this is not the case. Sadly, it happens more often than I would like. Not sure what that is all about. 

It seems that Kansas City falls into this category. I am glad I discovered this oversight because the Kansas City memorial is beautiful. It honors 351 from the area lost or missing.

These pictures were taken some time ago. The memorial has had a number of problems with vandalism, upkeep, and repair, but as of July 2023 these seem to be getting taken care of by the city and supporters of the memorial.


A detailed explanation of all the symbolism built into the memorial may be found here, it is quite interesting.

There are a couple of more photos from this site that I will post in the not too distant future.

The memorial is located at 4299 Broadway near the intersection with 42nd.

Next time, on the 29th., we will return to Nebraska to honor a simple memorial from Antelope Park in Lincoln, so join me there, as always, at 9:00 am.
 
To see additional memorials from Missouri, or any other state, please click a state name on the left side of this page. Please note that Canada, Ireland, and Puerto Rico have been added to the list.

If you are following along at all, you will have seen that a number of you, like Joan from Wisconsin, Tony from Texas, Mike from Maryland, Ron, and Molly from Florida have responded to my request to send me memorials you have seen in your area or where you may have traveled. I even got one from Ireland! These submissions help expand the knowledge of how we have remembered the men and women who served or were lost in 'Nam and you help to honor them. If you have any such photos, I would love to see them. Please send them along to the email at the left and I will gladly share them here. Thanks, once again, to all who have contributed.

No comments:

Post a Comment