Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Colorado XXXVIII

For reasons beyond my ken, this did not post on the 6th as it was scheduled to do. So, if you are reading this it is the 10th (or later) and it has posted after I adjusted the due date (and hope it works.) Therefore, the promised Kansas post, due on the 12th, will be moved to the 17th to get things back in order of every 5th day at 9:00am. ( I was at sea returning from Sydney, Cape Breton when all this managed to malfunction. Home now, and hopefully back on track.)

1Lt. Sharon Lane was the only one of the eight nurses killed in 'Nam as a direct result of enemy fire. Killed in a mortar attack ( I have, also, read it was a rocket attack) while trying to protect her patients. She is remembered on the The Wall in DC, as well as other places throughout the U.S. I have seen memorials in Ohio where she was born and this one in Colorado. 


Before volunteering to serve in 'Nam, she worked on TB wards at Fort Simmons in Denver.


The Nursing School at the University of Colorado named this road in her honor.


Lt. Lane represents the very best in us, volunteering to aid the injured, something she did not have to do. This perhaps is the highest form of heroism.

Marker is at or near this postal address: 13120 East 19th Avenue, Aurora CO 80045, United States of America

Next time, on the 17th, we will return to Kansas, so meet me there, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Colorado, or any other state, please click on a state name on the left side of this page.

If you follow along here you know that I always ask readers to send me any memorials, that I have not featured here, that they may have seen, I promise to give photo credits (which might only matter to professionals) and hope that some might do so. A number of you have honored me and our fellow vets by doing just that and I hope this will encourage more of you to get in touch.

If you have photos, please send them to the address at the right side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment