Sunday, October 1, 2023

California XLIII

 I post this particular memorial here today for only one reason.

That it has been driving me crazy for many years. As I have stated before, I spend a lot of time reviewing my files trying to find something I think might be of interest to you, my readers.

I keep coming across this memorial and have never been able to figure out just where it is or why I happened to photograph it. Admittedly, my filing system and skills seems to ebb and flow, better sometimes than others.

So, over and over again I came across pictures of this site. Not these pictures, these are new. No notes, no obvious identifying signs, no objects within the pics to help me figure out what had happened.

I gave up. The heck with it!

Well, recently, I happened to be in California once again. I was driving down the street, looking for someplace to eat: and there it was. I immediately parked the car and went over to see just what it was.

Here, at last, is the Ventura Veterans Memorial. Yeah, I know, not specifically Vietnam, but a remembrance for us all.

The, now, ubiquitous POW/MIA flag must have drawn me to the site originally those several years before. Asa I have written before, the flag was created by the wife of a Vietnam POW and has since become the everlasting reminder of All lost and/or left behind. 

This, of course, is completely fitting and correct, but to me it will always be "ours." 

Did you know that the POW/MIA flag is, in fact, a Federal flag? It is to be flown at equal height as the U.S. Flag, except as you see it here, on a single pole. Too often, you see it below State flags and this is incorrect, it should be above any State flag if on the same pole.

Each of the Services is honored here, too.

So, now, at last, I can move on. The mystery has been solved. (You really have no idea how much this has bothered me for a number of years) I'm a little disappointed that it it not a 'Nam memorial, but pleased to have rediscovered it.

Next time, on the 6th, we will revisit Colorado, so join me there, as usual, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from California, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

If you follow along here you know that I always ask readers to send me any memorials, that I have not featured here, that they may have seen, I promise to give photo credits (which might only matter to professionals) and hope that some might do so. A number of you have honored me and our fellow vets by doing just that and I hope this will encourage more of you to get in touch.

If you have photos, please send them to the address at the right side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment