Sunday, September 11, 2022

September 11, 2022

Twenty one years ago, we in my area anyway, awoke to one of those spectacular September days. As I have mentioned before, around my house we call it "San Diego weather," just beautiful: but, never again.

Now on days like that I never fail to remember that day, no matter the date.

Living not too far from Washington DC, the coverage, as I guess it was everywhere, was never ending. My wife drove by the Pentagon every day on her way to work for the Navy. Her office was just minutes away from the Pentagon. Her office had moved recently so she was not close on this fateful day, but some of her colleagues were in the Pentagon as it was attacked. They survived, but it brought it all closer to home for us.

As I have traveled the country photographing Vietnam memorials, I also, always photograph 9/11 memorials as I come across them. While I have seen quite a few research tells me that every state has at least one, now.

I was driving through Pennsylvania and stopped to check out a Vietnam memorial that I had read about. There was no memorial there but I noticed some kind of a memorial near the parking lot and wandered over to find this remarkable tribute to 9-11. 


A remembrance for the many First Responders that were lost.

A piece of the towers.

Located in Red Run Park the memorial was completed in stages and is now complete.  

In my reading, I have not found that anyone from the township was lost on 9-11, but considering that Pennsylvania was one of the three most heavily impacted states, it is not surprising to find this here in a town (ship) of just over 7, 000 people.

Next time, on the 16th, we will revisit South Carolina where I hope to be able to pull some faces from the state memorial in Columbia, so join me there, as always, at 9:00am when we will return to Vietnam memorial posts. 

To see additional memorials from Pennsylvania, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment