Sunday, February 23, 2020

Connecticut XVI

As I wonder around states seeking new memorials I also try to find a intersection, or a place that states the name of the town, or something to help me remember exactly where I was when I found the site.

This usually works flawlessly, but once in a while I forget or there is nothing obvious to photograph. Such is the case as I happened into what I now know is Sprague, Connecticut.

Situated on a corner is this really interesting site. I took a bunch of pics and even some of some route signs etc., only to find that when I wanted to post, the signs meant nothing. I could not remember where it was. I knew it was in Connecticut, but I could not, for the life of me, remember the specific place. So, I gave up and just decided I would never get to use these photos.

Being one who has difficulty taking no for an answer, I kept returning to the batch of pics, just to try again and actually found one that revealed where it was.

So, welcome to Sprague.


The site as you can see has a number of remembrances. the plaque on the right side of the stone "wall" towards the rear lists many who fought in the Civil War. Interestingly, as I have mentioned before, the Field Cross seen here dates back to the civil War.

The plaque on the left side remembers many from the 20th Century wars. Oddly, this plaque lists 44 who served in Vietnam.


The plaque on a separate pedestal, here, lists 110 who served in 'Nam. why the discrepancy, I cannot say, but I guess it has to do with what was know at the time of the placement of the various plaques.


I can find no dates on the plaques, so one hopes the differences are just the result of on-going efforts to be accurate and to remember and honor all who served. Next time, on the 28th, we will return to Delaware, so join me there as usual, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Connecticut, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment