Sunday, August 18, 2019

Georgia XIV

 Griffin in Spalding County, Georgia has a lovely memorial
park that I have posted about previously and today I want to tell you about the second Vietnam memorial within its grounds.

The first one, seen elsewhere on this site, honors those lost or missing from Vietnam and Korea. this one while listing no names is exclusive to Vietnam.


Fronted, a few yards away by an eternal flame which I was glad to see in full flame. You might be surprised by how many sites once boasted a flame that has now been extinguished for quite some time.



The front of the memorial, here a little difficult to read due to shadows says:

"To the men and women of Spalding County who served their county so faithfully in the Vietnam War and to the loved ones who suffered loneliness and loss.

Erected in grateful tribute by the citizens of Spalding County 1884."


I always appreciate the acknowledgement of those who were left at home to wonder and worry. My younger brother once told me of the fear my parents tried to hide the whole time I was away.



The ramp has a map of  'Nam, rifle, helmet and boots and reminds me a bit of the Field Cross.


The reverse side is shown above.


Next time, on the 23rd, we will have another look at Idaho, so as always, meet me there at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Georgia, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment