Monday, January 29, 2018

Arizona XVII

While driving through Arizona, I found myself crossing the Tohono O'odham Reservation. In Sells, I stopped to get a drink and noticed that there was vet office near the store and a bunch of guys were hanging around. I walked over and it was some kind of a craft, gathering, where people were selling stuff and cooking food on open fires. I started talking to some of the guys and when I told them what I was doing, someone said (as they always do) "Have you seen ours?"

Well he directed me down the street over to an unfinished site that had high fences all around. I walked around and around looking for an unlocked gate and there was none The fence went right up and touched a building, so I went in asked about the memorial but the folks there were not connected.


Before I eventually found a gap in the fence I could get through and gained access to the memorial I shot this pic from the road side, over the fence.

.
Once inside, it was easy to see that the site is not too very far from being completed. It currently honors WWII vets on this plaque.


Vietnam and Korean vets who made the ultimate sacrifice are honored on this plaque.


This plaque will be replaced in time. It might interested you to know that no group of Americans is more highly represented than Native Americans in the Vietnam war.

Near the fence, out by the road are what is left of an old memorial.



Next time I write about Arizona, I will tell you about my encounter with the American Legion in the town where the very nice woman working there showed me artist conceptions and a mock up of what the memorial will look like when completed.

Next time here, on the February 3rd, we will revisit California, so join me there, as usual, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Arizona, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment