Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Alabama XIII

After leaving Georgia for the time being, Steve and I ended up in a town called Clayton in Chilton County, Alabama.

We found this memorial and another just yards away at the Court House. I will feature the other, older, memorial in the near future.


Dedicated to those from the county that served and died, it features a beautiful eagle landing on a branch.


The names of the 13 local heroes are honored here, forever.



After we finished up, we asked the guard in the Court House where we find something to eat?

He directed us to a cafe just down the street where we had a very nice lunch.

On the way out the cashier, knowing we were not local, asked what brought us to Clayton? I explained our journey and she got really excited and wanted to know if we had been down the road to the Confederate Cemetery? I told her that we had not been there and that I was really only photographing Vietnam memorials. "Oh," she insisted, "there is a Vietnam memorial there, you have to check it out!"

So, we were headed in that direction anyway, we decided to stop and check it out. I have commented on this site a number of times that I often hear of some site from local folks and always try to check them out. Sometimes it pays off, other times, not so much.

Well, we drove the few miles to this beautiful, wooded, cemetery, full of memorials and eventually came to a visitors center. We stopped, went in, and I asked the very nice lady behind the counter where I might find the Vietnam memorial? 

She could not have looked at me more strangely if I had had two heads!

She said, "This is a Confederate Cemetery, dedicated to those who died in the Civil War!"

I explained that I had been directed here by a local and we both had a good laugh over it. I guess this was one of the times that local help was not so helpful. But, I am grateful for the cashier's interest and her attempt to help.

The court House is located at 502 Second Avenue N.

Next time around, we will venture back to Arizona, so join me there at 9:00am. on the 29th.

To see additional memorials from Alabama, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment