Thursday, July 9, 2015

South Dakota XVI

I drove around South Dakota on a free day. I stumbled on to several memorials that I had been unaware of at the time. This is not unusual as there is no central database of Vietnam memorials. The V.V.A. tried for some time to compile the data but eventually had to give up. Someday, I would like to see this accomplished. For now, I hope that this site will serve as a beginning.


Huron had a memorial in a park for about 20 years that very few knew about and when a nearby building needed expansion, it was decided to more the memorial to a more public place. The memorial honors those who perished in our most recent wars and was recently updated to include those lost in the middle east.



The Vietnam portion lists the 10 from the area who made the ultimate sacrifice.



The town has plans to add statues and a wall listing all who served from the area, but as of 2014 work had not been started. I'll post more as I learn it.



Huron is located in Beadle county and the memorial may be found on the corner of Wisconsin Ave. and 3rd Street.

Our next stop, on the14th, will be back in Texas.  So, join me there, as always, at 9:00am.

To see other memorials from South Dakota, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment