Friday, July 24, 2015

Arizona VIII

Sedona is world famous for its beauty and I must say that on my first visit here, it certainly lives up to its reputation. The rock formations are just breath taking and as a playground of those with some cash, you cam well imaging what some of the homes are like.

However, there is also a Veteran's Memorial in the town and this is what caused me to drove from Tucson, just to see it.

It looks as if it is in the middle of the desert, here, but it is actually on the corner of a very busy intersection.
( 25 Northview Road )


As I entered the site, a group of young people were sitting on one of the benches inside. They were maybe 12, or so. As I walked in and saw that the site had several Walls covered with names, one of  kids spoke right up and said, "Hi mister, my grand dad is on that wall."


Being a little unsure of what that meant, I asked her if these Walls were for any who served or those we had lost. she said, "Oh, it's for everyone, my grand dad is OK."



I told her I was glad to hear that and I asked her to show me his name and she gladly did so. I asked what war was your grand dad in and she said, Vietnam. The names on the walls are not war specific, but this was all the connection I needed to want to include this site here. Further research has not turned up anyone from Sedona hat was lost in the war.




The little girls Grandfather is William N. Howard.

 You will note that The Sedona 30 were involved in the creation of this site. they are a group of citizens who formed an organization more than 30 years ago to work towards "the betterment of Sedona." They certainly met that goal here.




There are a couple of other interesting pics from this site, but I will post them at another time.

Next time, on the 29th, we visit California, once again, so join me there at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Arizona, or any other state, click on the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment