Friday, July 18, 2014

Massachusetts IV

On the one hand, Massachusetts is so replete with history that it is difficult to visit and not be distracted by so many sites and historical monuments, markers and places. But, on the other hand, there are quite a number of Vietnam memorials, too, so one could arguably spend all one's time doing only that.

I was walking across a street in San Antonia when I chanced to meet a guy, a fellow vet. We got talking and he told me that he was from Massachusetts. He told me all about a memorial he was involved with building in his hometown of Taunton. I told him I would try to get there, someday, to check it out.


Well, I finally did and it is every bit as great as he said it was.

It sits on Church Green which is near Union Street. The green was the sight of the first Meeting House in 1647 that was used for religious as well as civic meetings.




The simple stone with a plaque listing the names of the 13 lost is fronted by a fountain and pool. The fountain, he told me, is capable being controlled and is infused with lights so that water shows can be performed. I was not able to see that part, but was able to capture the fountain itself on my second visit to the site. It is really worth a visit and must be really beautiful when the fountain is all lit up and "dancing."



In reading up on the site, I saw that the fountain was dedicated in 1968 which makes it a very early memorial.

Many are remembered in paver bricks around the plaza.



These flags, shaped like a V were added after my first trip and were proudly on display the last time I visited.


Next on the agenda is a return to Michigan, so join me there on the 23 at 9:00am.

To see other memorials from Massachusetts, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment