Saturday, May 29, 2010

Washington Post article

Another exciting thing has happened!

Returning from Michigan recently, I found myself sitting with a couple returning to Washington, too. We struck up a conversation which covered a number of topics including my work on this project. It turned out that he is an editor with the Washington Post and he was very interested in my journey. He pitched the story at the Post the next day and they agreed. They arranged for a story to be done on the efforts I am making to visit and write about these memorials. In addition, they asked to use some of my photos in the story. The graphics department told me they may use some in the print edition and others in the online edition, so, you may want to check out both.

A reporter, Monica Hesse, accompanied me, and my buddy Steve, to Pittsburgh, the first leg of my most recent trip. We met up with a photographer there, Randy Jarosz, who took many shots during our time in the city, so his pics will be featured, too.

The story will appear in the Post over the Memorial Day weekend. Ms Hesse said they are aiming for Memorial Day, itself, but that it was possible that it could appear on the Saturday before the holiday.

So, if you would like to check it out, you can get the Post or check it out on line at;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/30/AR2010053003463.html

As usual, I would love to hear what you think.

3 comments:

  1. I am an Afghan citizen, living in Kabul. I read the Washingtonpost story on the efforts you make about the war memorials. I am impressed how war memories can live with a person for long time. Now are in the same situation and grown in a war era and understand how tough is it to forget memories of bloodshed and acts of carnage.
    Good work Walsh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the article in the Post and through it found your blog. I am touched by what you are doing. I respect your quote -- "This has become a responsibility for me. What I'm doing is only a small piece of something, but it's a beginning." I agree. It's something. And it's important. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your service and for your website. I came here from the Washington Post article. I'm a Gen Xer who was born after Vietnam. When we got to the Vietnam War in school during in the 1980s, the teacher told us that it was too soon for people to talk about that period in American history. So we literally closed our history books and weren't taught a thing about it in the classroom.

    Looking through the posts here gives me a better appreciation for how the United States is still grieving over what happened during the Vietnam War. All these monuments are tributes to the sacrifice of these young men and their families, but also to the trauma of the communities who continued to feel their deaths years afterward. Because no man is an island unto himself.

    I appreciate the opportunity that this website has afforded me on this Memorial Day to see monuments I would never see otherwise, and to reflect on the lives and deaths that prompted such efforts at remembrance. I also appreciate your willingness to share your experiences as a Vietnam vet so that people like me, who never knew the war, will not forget either.

    ReplyDelete