Monday, August 31, 2026

Georgia XXVI



Georgia lost some 1500+ (the 10th highest among the states.) I will honor three of them today.

Artis Wesley Anderson

PFC Artis Anderson was lot in a crossfire ambush that killed 12 and wounded an additional 19 soldiers. He was lost at Phuoc Tuy Province on May 17, 1966. Little other information seems to be available.

Gus Terry Allen

CPL Gus Allen was lost at Thua Thien. He was awarded the Bronze Star for Valor for his actions, but I could find no details of them. He was lost on July 23,1970, when hit by a mortar round.

Willie Frank Amos

PVT Willie Amos was lost at Quang Nam to "enemy fire..." He was lost on April 19, 1969.

It has been my habit lately to try to feature those from small, less well known, often overlooked places but due to some tech problems I have been unable to access many of my usual sites'. If/when these issues are corrected, I will return, at least most of the time to my usual practice.

All of these heroes were from Atlanta.

Next time, on September 5th, join me in Hawai'i' where I will tell a story that many have not heard. See you, as always, at 9:00 am.

If you have been following along at all, you will have seen that a number of you, like Joan from Wisconsin, Tony from Texas, Mike from Maryland, Ron from Florida, Tim from Virginia, Molly from Florida, Colleen from Pennsylvania (now three times!) Elli from Maryland and Peg and Ray from Florida, among others have responded to my request to send me memorials you have seen in your area or from where you have traveled. I even got one from Ireland!

These generous submissions have help to expand the knowledge of how we remember and honor the men and women who served in or were lost in Vietnam.

If YOU have any such photos or knowledge about these memorials and sites not already here, I would love to know of them. Please send them along to the email address on the left side of this page and I will gladly share them here.

I hope all these listed here will encourage YOU to send along photos and join the group!

No comments:

Post a Comment