I ended up climbing a fence to gain access. (Boy, are those days behind me!) I've since read that the site has limited access, so that may have been my problem.
Students at La Sierra High School wanted to pay tribute to their fallen classmates and constructed the memorial in a metal shop class.
Originally dedicated to 14, 15 when I visited, and I have recently learned that the total is now, 18. Changes in the number of honored at these sites change all the time as new information is found. For those who may not know, names are added to The Wall in DC on a regular basis. One wonders if we will ever reach the end.
I remember reading somewhere that the memorial is actually made from mining equipment but have been unable to verify that.
Great job from a bunch of thoughtful, dedicated High school kids.
Next time, on August 11th, we will return to Colorado, so join me, as always, at 9 am.
If you have been following along at all, you will have seen that a number of you, like Joan from Wisconsin, Tony from Texas, Mike from Maryland, Ron from Florida, Tim from Virginia, Molly from Florida, Colleen from Pennsylvania (now three times!) Elli from Maryland and Peg and Ray from Florida, among others have responded to my request to send me memorials you have seen in your area or from where you have traveled. I even got one from Ireland!
These generous submissions have help to expand the knowledge of how we remember and honor the men and women who served in or were lost in Vietnam.
If YOU have any such photos or knowledge about these memorials and sites not already here, I would love to know of them. Please send them along to the email address on the left side of this page and I will gladly share them here.
I hope seeing all these listed here will encourage YOU to send along photos and join the group!




No comments:
Post a Comment