Tuesday, June 13, 2023

West Virginia XVI

A few months ago, I shared a memorial at Morgantown High School in Morgantown, West Virginia.

West Virginia as you may know had the highest loss rate, per-capita, of any state in the Vietnam war. This got me thinking about how the percentages from Morgantown High School compare.

West Virginia lost 1182 of the 36,578 men and women sent to 'Nam.

18 of these went to Morgantown High School. Somewhere out there, there is a math person who can tell the significance of these numbers, I hope you will tell us. I could not find info on school enrollment for all of the years we were in "Nam, but the numbers I did find seem to indicate that the population was roughly 3,000 students per year in at least the latter years of the war. Exactly how to extrapolate those numbers is out of my league, so, as I said, help me out.

Today, I will simply feature the faces of a few of the eighteen heroes.



Sp4 Spencer III remains MIA

These three were chosen in no particular order and for no special reason other than that they deserve to be remembered and honored. I will choose others in the future.

Next time, on the 18th, we will revisit Wisconsin, so meet me there as always, at 9:00am.

Morgantown High School is located at 109 Wilson Ave.

To see additional memorials from West Virginia, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

I will ask, as I do at the end of nearly every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state, or anywhere you may have visited, from the list at the left, or any place else. Please send them to the email at the left or directly to me at Ldddad@comcast.net. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment