Saturday, January 29, 2022

Colorado XXXIII

I have noticed as I have traveled around the country that Vietnam memorials tend, with notable exceptions, to fall into one of three types. I call them "some version of The Wall," "chopper on a stick," and "comrades." 

The first two are pretty obvious I think and the third usually depicts soldiers on patrol, or a fallen solder being aided by others. Occasionally, someone has the forethought to include a women, always, of course, a nurse.

But, even more rarely than any of these is the inclusion of loved ones.

In western Colorado at what is called the Western Slope Vietnam Memorial, Richard Arnold,(Da Nang '65) has done just that. Richard has done several memorials around the country and has often included these overlooked family members.

Today, in this Faces of Remembrance post I will share the faces of the parents in addition to that of the returning Marine.

Mr. Arnold consulted with several vets while designing this memorial and they told him of how their parents had looked upon their return. Not overwhelmingly happy as Richard had imagined them, but more weary and haggard. Exactly what He was able to reflect in these faces.

 
 
And even more so in this Mother. 


Obviously, there is joy but, also, relief from the longest year of their live, too.
 
My brother, the very first to respond to this site all those years ago, commented on how our parents "were" during my tour and how their anxiety and concern increased as the days to my return decreased. I think Richard captured that very thing in this sculpture.

You can find the Western Slope Memorial and the Welcome Home statues at the memorial near Fruita, Colorado.
 
Please, I would ask that any reader who might have pics of Vietnam memorials not found on this site to send them to me. I will be happy to include them here and give the sender full credit. I would like to make this site as comprehensive as possible and my ability to travel to every site out there is limited, so, let me know what you have. You can contact me at the email on the left. 
 
Next time, on the 3rd of February, we will return to Connecticut, so, as always, meet me there at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Colorado, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment