Thursday, November 11, 2021

Veteran's Day 2021


So, Veterans Day with its storied history, changes of dates and varied meanings and significance is upon us once more.

If you had asked me all those years ago shortly after leaving the army if I might be sitting here writing about this subject, I probably would have laughed.

I was not what most would call a military guy. Yeah, I was drafted, did my training and headed off to 'Nam, like nearly 3 million others, but it was not my calling. I didn't have any real problems, just not what I saw as a long term thing for me.

I come from a staunchly military family. Many uncles and great greats all served in various times. Mostly in the Navy. Family legend has it that we are related to Commodore Barry, the Father of the American Navy.

I, however, ended up in the Army, yet served in the Army's Navy. We trained at Norfolk and Ft. Eustis, so... in some ways, back to the Navy!

Unless you are a first time visitor to this site, you know that I concentrate on Vietnam memorials, but today I will share a couple of more general, all veterans memorials I have come across in my travels.

Harve de Grace, Maryland


Anthem, Arizona

Nome, Alaska 

Gano, Oklahoma

St. Louis, Missouri

All of the above honor many veterans and their efforts in many wars and while these are but a very few, I hope they represent all veterans and the honor, gratitude and debt we as a nation owe them all.

I hope each of you who happen upon this are thanked today or that you thank a vet for all they have given. We have learned as a nation to separate the warrior from the war, so matter how you feel about any one particular effort, never forget that those who risked so very much deserve our respect and thanks.

Next time, on the 16th we will revisit North Carolina, so meet me there, as alwways at 9:00am.

To see other Vietnam memorial,s from any state, please click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment