Saturday, September 11, 2021

September 11th, 2021

Twenty years ago today the unimaginable happened. The United States, the leader of the free world, the most powerful nation perhaps ever was stunned, attacked and, briefly at least caught unaware.

Every year I write something and feature a memorial from somewhere. Did you know that every state in the Union has at least one memorial to those lost on that fateful day? I have not seen them all by any shot and some of the ones I have seen I have posted here over the years. They are frequently magnificent, sometimes simple, and always very emotional.

I just read this past Tuesday about a memorial to the seven Irish lost and also to honor first responders, that was built in Waterford, Ireland. It features a section of girder from the World Trade Center. Waterford is considered Ireland's first city.

While visiting Arizona not so long ago I saw two. One is in Wesley Bolin Park across from the Capitol, in the same park the State Vietnam Memorial is located. It is spectacular and you should go see it.

 
 
If you do, drive a couple of hours south to Tucson and there by itself with no fanfare, not even a sign, is this one.
 

Often referred to, incorrectly, as the Avatar memorial due to the Spielberg movie of the same name, it was actually in place a number of years before that movie was released.

 
 
Eight high school students and Tucson artist David Campbell spent part of the summer of 2002 creating and installing a blue angel hoisting a globe overhead -- a tribute to the victims of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. The figure emerges from rubble, and a slab is labeled "Together We Rise."
 

So, today 20 years later we are older, if not wiser, and we would do well to remember those lost as it seems every state as done in some way. 
 

I didn't personally know anyone lost on that day but 11 of my neighbors from my area were lost at the Pentagon and I have posted previously about the magnificent memorial we have here.
 

The sadness in the angels eyes reflects I think the sadness we must all remember and feel on this 20th anniversary of this tremendous loss.
 
R.I.P.
 
Next time, on the 16th, we will revisit Delaware, so join me there, as always, at 9:00am.
 
To see additional Vietnam memorials from any state, please click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment