Thursday, February 6, 2020

Arizona XXV

Bisbee, Arizona lies about 90 miles south of Tucson and about eleven miles north of the Mexican border. It once boasted a population of nearly 10,000. but as of the 2010 census that number has fallen to about 5,500.

Known mostly as a mining town in the past, more recently it has become a destination for those wanting to see what an old mining community looks like. It has beautiful architecture and some great funky old neighborhoods.

Bisbee High School is the single high school in the town and it lost seven of its graduates to Vietnam.


I went to visit and the people could not have been nicer. The Principal himself gave me a brief tour and then asked one of the student to take over.


Outside the main entrance, under a tree is this small, yet, dignified memorial to those lost. The principal told me that the school is proud of these heroes and is dedicated to everlasting upkeep of the memorial and to honoring these men.


The young man he assigned to me as a guide showed me a different memorial to one particular soldier and I will share that story at a later time.

Next time, on the 11th, we will trek back to California, so meet me there at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Arizona, or any other state, please click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment