Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Rhode Island XII

I have traveled in Rhode Island for many years and since the beginning of this project have been baffled as to why there seemed to be no memorial in Providence. It just didn't make sense: good sized city, certainly losses, but no memorial.

I would frequently do some research, but always came up empty.

Then, not too long ago, I found Squantum Woods Park and I set out to see what was there.

The beautiful memorial was dedicated in 2017. I was relieved to know that it was, in fact, pretty new and that I was not just missing it in my research.


You approach the site from a small parking lot.


Along the brick path there are dedications to those who served.


The area is known as the Garden of Flags.


The several from the area who were lost are honored here.


The memorial and park are located on Cadorna Street in East Providence.

Next time, on the 27th, we will return to Virginia, so meet me there, as usual, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Rhode Island, or any other state, please click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment