Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Massachusetts XVI



Somehow this never got posted on Thanksgiving Day, so here, a bit late, it is. Not sure what happened but...


It seems fitting that I be writing about a memorial in Massachusetts today, Thanksgiving 2019. It is possibly the most often thought about state at this time of year. Many of us believe that it was here that the first Thanksgiving was held. This is not accurate historically, but it is still our long held belief and somehow just makes posting from Southbridge a bit more meaningful even if the first Thanksgiving as we know it was actually in Virginia.


The memorial here sits in a small area created by Main Street as it enters and exits a circle.


Many names are listed here of those who served in Vietnam, the lost are grouped together in a place of honor and where you will not miss them.


I am always please when I see these small markers at these sites.


However, I have never seen one of these before. I do not know what the French population in Massachusetts is, but when I returned from 'Nam the first girl I dated was from the state and she was of French heritage. I am sure she never knew, but she played a huge role in my readjustment and I will always be grateful to her.

 
Next time, on the 8th, we will visit New Hampshire, so join me there as usual at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Massachusetts, or any other state, please click the state name on the left side of this page.


No comments:

Post a Comment