Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Alabama XIII

I had been headed for Montgomery to find the Vietnam memorial there. Calling ahead, as I sometimes do, I was told that it was currently inaccessible due road construction and other municipal work.

Disappointed, I turned a little east and north of Montgomery because the nice lady I spoke to in Montgomery said there was a memorial in Tallasee.


 Well, this rather striking memorial was mot too hard to find but photographing ot was quite another story. It was one of the hottest and brightest days I have ever seen and fighting the glare on the memorial turned out to be a losing battle.


The three markers contain the names of many who served in our various wars.



An unusual feature is the listing of what medals these brave soldiers received for service

.
Another unusual fact is that all who served or were lost are not listed as families had to pay for the listing and some, not surprisingly, chose not to do so.


Bricks have been engraved with names of others who served but there is no explanation for why some are on bricks as opposed to the wall of if they are listed on both.

Next time, on the 29th, we will return to Arizona, so meet me there at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Alabama, or any other state, please click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment