Thursday, May 30, 2019

Memorial Day 2019



I had planned to move on to Massachusetts today, but over the Memorial Day weekend I discovered something in my own community of which I had been unaware.


The Rotary Club in nearby Gaithersburg sponsors a display of 750 American flags on the lawn of Bohrer Park. I learned of it at the VA's Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) when I arrived for an appointment. The receptionist were discussing how beautiful it was and how very much they liked it.

I drove down and discovered that the Rotary with the help of some Boy Scouts, were still in the process of setting up and attaching tags to the individual flags.


The flags may be dedicated to anyone the donor considers a "hero" and I saw tags naming local community activists, solders living and not, including living and lost from Vietnam, and many others that were not specifically stated, listing only a name of a "hero" and the name of the person honoring them.

This is one of Rotary's largest fund raisers and as you may know Rotary is dedicated to the well being of children, families, and communities, so it seems like a good thing to me.


 Next time, on June 4th, we will revisit Massachusetts, so, join me there, as always, at 9:00am.

To see other Vietnam Memorials from around the country, please click upon a state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment