Saturday, August 11, 2018

New Mexico XVI

As many of  you know, New Mexico is one of my favorite places in America. I thought I was finished posting from there when I discovered a memorial that I had forgotten.

Bernalillo is not far from Albuquerque and has been called Coronado's City.

The city though not too large, 8,300+ in 2010,  has built a wonderful memorial to all who served and all who were lost, I have said many times before how much I like it when a place is able to honor all.



The memorial is located at 711 Camino Del Pueblo and consists of four granite plaques with the names of all who served and a larger one honoring those lost protected by three choppers.


Standing near by, perhaps on guard, or just remembering and honoring a fallen brother is a soldier with his hand resting on a Field Cross


As noted many times, previously, the Field Cross was first known during the Civil War to mark the place where a soldier fell, so that his remains could be gathered for proper burial at a later date. Even then we attempted to leave no man behind.


 His face is a little hard to see, perhaps, purposely so that he might represent us all.


A view from the street, some of the pavers creating the plaza have name engraved upon them. Bernalillo lies at the edge of the Coronado Memorial so don't miss it if you visit the area.

Next time, on the 16th, we will return to New York, so as always., join me there at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from New Mexico, or any other state, click on the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment