Saturday, October 21, 2017

Oklahoma VII

Gano, Oklahoma is located about 75 miles north east of Oklahoma City. My cousin Dan who lives in OK. took me there and I was stunned at the size and scope of their Veterans Memorial. I never actually saw the town so I tried to find a little info about it online. There is virtually nothing.

Anyway, here a few of the pics I took that day.


The site is quite large and has a number of stones listing names of the many that served, Medal of Honor recipients, and other interesting facts.



Also, there is huge anchor and two different tanks.


There are a couple of these citing the major battles of individual wars. Note the dates of Vietnam; 1965 to 1973, I have commented, often, on how we can't even agree on when the war was fought. As I type this I am watching the Ken Burns The Vietnam War program on PBS and in it he cites the first American killed in 'Nam (albeit in a mistaken shot) as Col. Dewey in 1945. I have often mentioned TSGT Richard Fitzgibbons as the first killed after the dividing of the county in 1954. He was killed in 1956 after a number of US solders were sent in 1955, and there were others that followed.


This one lists all those lost in various wars from the Revolution through Desert Storm. I wonder if it has been updated since. If I am ever able to find out, I will update here, too.

Next time, on the 26th, we will venture once again to Pennsylvania, so join me there at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Mississippi, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment