Monday, September 11, 2017

September 11, 2017

Many of you know that om particular days I write about things other than Vietnam memorials. Again, this year I want to feature another 9-11 memorial. As I travel the country to visit memorials to our brothers and sisters from 'Nam, I frequently see 9-11 memorials and always photograph them, too.

Today, I will show you the memorial I saw in Omaha, Nebraska

It is called "On the Wings of Angels" and was built by Woodsmen of the World, an insurance group, the people of Omaha and the 300 who had casts made of their hands for the "globe"



While I can find very little information about the site, it seems clear to me that the "silver" portion of the site are the Wings and the hands represent those that were lost.


Omaha has had a memorial service in a local park for those lost. It was started by the sister of a man killed in the towers. She places flags for each of those lost. This is a marvelous remembrance, I think, but it is not permanent as this one is.

In my research for this site a ran across some dissension. Some think we need not be reminded of these events. I think this is somewhat short sighted as in the not too distant future, those who actually remember will be gone, so these memorials, like all memorials, will remind our children and grandchildren of our past, our history.


300 citizens volunteered to have their hands cast to create this.

Dedication plaque
So, today, we honor those lost on that fateful day in NYC, Shanksville and D.C. I wonder will the world ever be the same.

Next time, in the 16th, we will return to Massachusetts, so join me there at 9:00am.

To see other memorials, from any state, click on the state name on the left side of this page,

No comments:

Post a Comment