Sunday, December 4, 2016

Colorado XXV

The Boulder Municipal Building sits at 1777 Broadway and on its grounds rests this memorial to the 25 from the area that were lost or missing.



The one missing man is Jim Hamm and I have written before about him on this site. If you want to read that post, click Colorado on the left and scroll back 'til you find the posts from Longmont. Jim Hamm was assumed captured but has never come home and has been declared dead. RIP

The top of the memorial is inscribed.



 Below the names of those lost, embedded in the brick, is a plaque.



The plaque is dedicated to the memory of Neil J. Neitenbach who died on July 14, 1992. I have made a number of inquiries, in a number of places, but can find absolutely nothing about this man. As always, I turn to you for help. If you know anything about who this is, let me know and I will update here.

Next time, on December 9, we will revisit Connecticut, so, join me there at 9:00am.

To see other memorials from Colorado, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.
 
Update: Today, November 12th, 2020 I heard from Neil's wife who happened upon this site. Neil was the creator of this memorial and the night he completed it, the day before its dedication, he went out with friends on his motorcycle. He was involved in a not fully explained accident and was killed.
 
His wife now lives in North Dakota and his daughter is in the Navy. She was five when he was lost and visits this site when in Colorado.

Once again, as so often is the case, I find there is more to the story and once again my plea for help was heard. I took these photos in 2011, posted them in 2017, and today, finally, have my question answered. Thank you.

R.I.P. Neil and thank you for caring and for your memorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment