Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Nebraska XI

Fremont lies in Dodge County, Nebraska. At 16th and Luther is Clemmons Park and it is home to a memorial to the 14 from the area that were lost in 'Nam.


In front of the flagpole, outside of the Gazebo is this plaque honoring the 14 lost.


The Gazebo houses another tribute, perhaps an earlier one.


This one paraphrases the founding principle of Vietnam Veterans of America.



The first plaque comments on the fact that a tree was planted for each of the 12 lost and one more for the POW/MIAs. However, there are 14 names listed. I called the local newspaper to see if I could find out any more information. It is very common for memorials to be updated with new names over time. I would be willing to bet that every memorial I have ever visited has been updated.

The reporter who wrote the story I had seen no longer works at the paper, so I was put in touch with the editor who, very kindly, gave me the name and number of a local, highly involved, Vietnam vet. He was sure that this guy could help me. So, I called only to discover that both of the vets phone numbers are out of service. I called the paper back, but they were gone for the day.

So, as I so often do, I will turn to you to see of you have any information. If so, you can contact me here through the comments section or there is an email on the left side of the page that is private.

Next time, on the 26th, we will revisit Nevada, so join me, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Nebraska, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment