Monday, May 11, 2015

California XIII

Oxnard, California lies about an hour or so North of Los Angeles and is the home of a major U.S. Navy facility. My wife visits often as part of her job and I often tag along.

One day I decided to wander in to the "Old Town" section of Oxnard just to check it out. In the town square with a beautiful Japanese (?)  Gazebo like building in the center, I ran across this beautiful and unusual Memorial. As in so many small towns it honors many wars and of course Vietnam is not forgotten.


I have photographed this site, perhaps 6 or 7 times and have always found the glare from the rock's surface to be an issue. I have tried in the morning, mid day and in the evening all to no avail. Someday, I will be there at just the right time!



Oddly, as is all too often the case, I have been able to locate exactly zero information on this site. So, as I always do, I will ask anyone from Oxnard, or any place else to fill me in on the details. I have scoured the internet and can't find even a mention that this site exists. Odd, for such a great memorial. so, if you have any info, I would love to have it.


The Vietnam portion of this memorial honors the 46 from the area who were lost


 


Flags always attract my attention. They were blowing hardily the day I was there


Next time, on the 16th, we will return to Florida, so join me there as always at 9:00am.


To see other memorials from California, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment