Friday, December 12, 2014

Virginia VIII

A little more than 30 miles, and 200 years, WNW of our Nation's Capitol is Leesburg, Virginia. Leesburg is one of the most picturesque towns you might ever have the pleasure to visit.

It is accessed by several highways like any town, but also, unlike many, from historic White's Ferry, the last remaining of what was once a thriving group of Ferrys crossing the Potomac River in various spots to and from Maryland. White's Ferry will celebrate 200 years of service in 2017

I was once offered the job as the ferry's Captain. For a variety of reasons it turned out to not be possible and at the time that was OK. Now, I look back, and think that was a real missed opportunity. How many of us, in this day and age. could add Ferry Captain to our resumes? Not too many, I suspect!

Gracing the lawn of the Loudon County Court House are several memorials to the county's lost.


Our brothers from Vietnam, 12 in all, are here remembered and honored forever.


There was a wedding going on, on the walk up to the Court House when I was there. I found it interesting, and perhaps a little consoling to be among those celebrating life as we visited with those who were lost.


You can see from this pic that names were added after the fact. This happens time and time again. I am glad that those who were left off were found and added, but I wonder why it is so difficult to gather all the names in the first place. I have mentioned in the past that I am involved in creating a memorial in my town and just in the last year, our numbers have jumped from 114 to the 120s and finally has settled, for now, at 131. I wonder if this is correct and if we will ever know?


Here, in this detail shot, you can see that the original list ended with Richard Pohl and then the three additional were added.

Next time, we revisit Arizona. I traveled to the very western side of the state and found a beautiful and somewhat unexpected memorial. Join me there on the 17th, as always, at 9:00am,

To see additional memorials from Virginia, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment