Friday, October 19, 2012

Arkansas IV

The White County Vietnam Memorial is located in Searcy about 50 miles northeast of Little Rock. On the corner of N. Spruce and W. Race Streets, in front of the Court House is the three paneled memorial to the 13 lost and 3 MIA's from the county.

This memorial includes something I have never encountered before. The insignia on the top right is that of the Seabees.The Seabees are the Navy's Construction Battalion (CB's) and they have built bases, roads etc all over the world. If you are interested you may find out lots more, here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seabee_%28US_Navy%29

I spent some time talking to a guy from the local Rolling Thunder group and he told me that he thinks he remembers hearing that one of the MIA's was eventually accounted for. I spent some time trying to verify this and could not do so. One hopes that is is right and that info simply eludes me.

He told me another interesting story, too. He, like me, is a member of Patriot Guard. Recently, when the funeral of a local soldier took place, more than 2400 members of Patriot Guard showed up to honor him and protect his family from any who might dare interfere.

No comments:

Post a Comment