Saturday, April 30, 2011

Alaska V






North of Anchorage, about halfway to Denali and Mt McKinley is the Alaska War Memorial. Built in1983, it honors all of Alaska's Vets. The memorial consists of 5 large walls, one for each of the services. A Merchant Marine stone was added at a later time. There are no names or specific wars highlighted. This seems to be in keeping with what I was told about the states effort not to single out any service or war. I saw it first in 1989 when I visited. Since then a number of plaques have been added around it. These include several Medal of Honor awardees from Vietnam.

It was raining when I visited this time, as it did nearly every day, so I could not see Mt. McKinley which is only a short distance (by Alaskan standards) away.

The guy at the top just seemed so fitting for this post that I couldn't resist giving him top billing! I got him out near the Portage Glacier.

These were the only sites I was able to find, or get to, on this trip. As usual, if any of you know of any 'Nam sites, I would dearly love to hear about them. As always, you can reach me either by "comment" or by using the email listed on the left side of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment