Sunday, September 15, 2024

Colorado XLII

I get to go to Colorado every year or two and it is every bit as awesome and beautiful as you have heard. Sadly, I have not been back as recently as I would like. At one time, I thought it just might be the state with the most Vietnam memorials as I had found so many.

Truthfully, I don't know which state holds that honor, in fact, no one seems to know how many there are throughout the country. Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA) tried to collect and catalogue them all but finally had to throw up their hands and give up. The number was a moving target at all times. As recently as this past June, Nebraska dedicated a brand new site in Papillion. I hope to get there some time.

I return today to  Fountain Valley and their Wall of Honor. Among the hundreds of names from several wars are many of our comrades from Vietnam.


The following are just a few more of those who gave all or were wounded in action.



This is actually the first time I have seen this designation on a memorial.

Having worked on the memorial in my town, I know just how hard it is to get all the names and everything correct. So, I appreciate the work done here to salute the brave souls listed, honored, and remembered.

Next time, on September 20th, we will revisit Delaware, so join me there, as usual, at 9:00 am.

To see additional memorials from Colorado, or any other state, please click a state name on the left side of this page. Please note that Canada, Ireland, and Puerto Rico have been added to the list.

If you are following along at all, you will have seen that a number of you, like Joan from Wisconsin, Tony from Texas, Mike from Maryland, Ron from Florida, Tim from Virginia and Molly from Florida, among others, have responded to my request to send me memorials you have seen in your area or where you may have traveled. I even got one from Ireland! These submissions help expand the knowledge of how we have remembered the men and women who served or were lost in 'Nam and you help to honor them. If you have any such photos, I would love to see them. Please send them along to the email at the left and I will gladly share them here. Thanks, once again, to all who have contributed.

No comments:

Post a Comment