Monday, December 5, 2022

Kansas XII

As you well know, if you follow my journeys at all, that I am drawn to the faces I find in various memorials.  Whether they be on statues, or photos, or inscribed, by whatever means on, Walls of some sort.

Mostly, these faces are of solders, occasionally nurses, and rarely of children, but always of those being affected by the immediate war.

Even less likely to be seen, however, are the families, those waiting at home dealing with the anxiety and fear of having a son, brother, father, mother, or other loved one in a far away and dangerous place.

I remember when I made my first post to this site. It was October 14th, 2009, and the very first person I heard from was my younger brother. He went into some detail about how our parents  "were" during the year I was in 'Nam (67-68.) So, I think we have not always given those waiting at home their due.

While in Kansas I visited a memorial in Wichita that does acknowledge the sacrifice of those who gave up their loved ones to our efforts in Vietnam. 

Today, their faces in recognition of service and, in far too many cases, the ultimate sacrifice.

The Wife

 

The Father


The Mother


The Child

These deeply saddened faces represent those who who were left behind. What you cannot see here is the face of the little boy who has turned his back to the "camera."

Next time, on the 10th, we will return to Louisiana, so join me there, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Kansas,  or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page. 

I will ask, as I do at the end of nearly every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state, or anywhere you may have visited, from the list at the left, or any place else. Please send them to the email at the left or directly to me at Ldddad@comcast.net. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment