Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Pennsylvania XXXI

As promised we are back on track today, once again visiting and honoring our lost brothers and sisters, this time in Pennsylvania.

In the Scranton area is a town called Old forge and it has a remarkable number of remembrances for such a seemingly small town. Today we will visit just one of them.

Just on the grounds of the fire station sits this beautiful memorial originally dedicated to the heroes of WWI and WWII. 

Two additions were made at a later date, one in honor of those lost in Vietnam.

No names are listed and one wonders if it is because there just might be too many. A nearby town attempts to name everyone who has ever served and it is a formidable task and who knows what causes one town to do one thing and another something else. Having served on a memorial committee for my area I know just what a daunting task it is to get it right, then get it funded, etc., etc., etc.

I am always glad to notice these staked emblems. I do not know where they come from but they are at many, many sites.

I am intrigued by the statue. I am not sure if she is a grieving mother or represents something else entirely. What do you think? Let me know by posting in the comments section or via the email listed on the left side of this page.

Next time, on the 11th, we will visit Virginia, so meet me there, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Pennsylvania, or any other state,  please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment