Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Florida XX

One of the most direct routes across Florida is route 70, all 148 miles of it. Steve and I left Venice and headed over to Port St. Lucie on the east coast and then south into the Keys.

As we traveled along we happened upon Okeechobee a town of about 5,000. We hadn't planned to go there specifically so we did not expect to find this really great Veterans Memorial Park. I repeat myself, I know, but what small towns do for the vets often amazes me!

The park is just loaded with tributes and artifacts and we spent quite a bit of time just looking about and enjoying the results of what must have been an enormous effort by the people here.

These stones record the names of hundreds of people who have fought in our wars. The names are listed on both side of these stones, hundreds of them. There are two more stones on the other side of this site.



The memorial actually faces in this direction with the six stones above behind this wall. These three stones below honor the lost from World War I and II, Korea, Vietnam and  Iraq/Afghanistan.


Ten of our brothers from this small town are honored here.


A couple of the artifacts are shown here including the ubiquitous Huey and this tank. I have to admit that it was not until I returned home that I learned that tanks were even used in 'Nam as I never saw one during my tour.



By looking closely at these last two pics you can get an idea of just how big this park is. Quite and honor for those involved and those remembered.

So, next time on the 9th, we will revisit Georgia, so join me there, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorial from Florida, or any other state, please click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment