Monday, June 11, 2018

California XXII

In my ongoing quest to find and document Vietnam memorials throughout America, as I have said before, sometimes they seem to fall into a couple of standard, if you will, catagories. They are most often some version of a wall with names, buddies helping buddies, or chopper rescue, so, I am always looking for something different, too.

This memorial, while not exclusively Vietnam, caught my attention the last time I was in Los Angeles.

It is the bridge at Sepuldeva and Bonsall, one of the entrances to the West Los Angeles VA Medical Center.

It has been painted with numerous faces of those that served, unit patches, and other appropriate symbols like the POW/MIA flag. In places, it appears to be a work still in progress.


If you are a long term reader of this site, you may recognize this guy. I have no idea who he is, but his face also appears on the Venice, California memorial, indicating, I think that the same artist is involved with each site.


This is a view from the Medical Center side of the bridge.


Even inside the wall are covered with pictures. Note the parachutist.


I found my two patches, U.S. Army Vietnam and 1st Logistical Command, called by many, The leaning Shit House.


















The bridge is located on Sepuldeva at Bonsall Ave and you need to wonder around a bit to find it and a place to park, but it is really quite impressive.

Next time, on the 16th, we will return to Delaware, so, join me there at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from California, or any other state, click on the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment