Tuesday, February 23, 2016

South Dakota XVIII

On the day I was just tooling around South Dakota I came upon several unknown memorials.


This one, in Howard, like so may in small towns represents and honors all. True, it is not specifically a Vietnam memorial but some of the figures are easily recognizable as our brothers and sisters. Small towns as I have said a number of times before just do not have the resources to create memorials for every war.

Howard, the little I saw of it consisted of one building divided in to two places of business. I walked into one, a small diner like place, and spoke with a couple of guys who, it turns out were vets. While they were quite proud of their memorial they could not give me too many details about it.


There are no names listed here, but, I was able to track down three names from Howard that were lost in 'Nam.


Mia's are not neglected.


Nor, are today's.

Howard has a population, depending upon which source you use, of 822 or 858 and has been decreasing in the last several censuses, so for them to build this great site deserves our respect and thanks.

This memorial may be found at the intersection of Hwy 34 and S. Main Street.

Next time, on the 28th, we will meet again in Washington, so join me there, a always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from South Dakota, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment