Monday, October 27, 2014

Texas X

Driving on Route 35 from Austin to San Antonio, you come upon the city of San Marcos. Said to be among one of the oldest, continuously inhabited places in America (10,000 plus years) it is the home to Texas State University and a small veterans park.


The park is located at 320 Mariposa Street and it was quite deserted the day I was there.


The small memorial is flanked by two flags and lists the names of 12 men to be honored.

The park and the memorial have seen better days and it always saddens me to to see this. I guess we are fading, slowly, into history and when we are gone, I wonder who will remember and care for these places?


There is another memorial in San Marcos, at the University, that I will write about at another time and maybe that is why this one seems to have been forgotten, at least to some extent.


Next time, on the 1st of November, I am going to take you to a MOST unusual site. Be sure to join me in Colorado, as always, at 9:00am. for one of the most fascination stories to date!

To see other memorials from Texas, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.


No comments:

Post a Comment