Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Indiana VI



Along the Ohio River in Evansville, Indiana rests a classic memorial to those from the area lost in Vietnam. Polished black granite fashioned in the manner of The Wall in D.C. forces you to look at yourself while you ponder the many names, deeds, and lives honored here.


Located at Chestnut Street and Riverside Avenue adjacent to a Combat Wounded Memorial (Purple Heart Memorial) no date of placement or dedication is listed, only the stark white engraved names.


I was pleased to see that the truth has been honored by listing some lost in Cambodia; something that was denied for years.

Interesting, too, is the helmet on the etched Field Cross. It looks to me to be a more modern helmet, perhaps from Iraq or Afghanistan.  I am not sure if this was done purposely or was an oversight of some kind. Strange.


Another anomaly is that every site I read about this memorial says that 55 names are listed, but when you count them there are 65. I know that these changes are happening all the time (we just added one in my county last week) but I think it is odd that no one has updated any of the several sites I visited to try to verify one number or the other.

Next time, on the 23rd, we will, once again, visit Louisiana. Join me there at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Indiana, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment