Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Rhode Island VIII

To be honest, I have no memory of how I learned about this memorial. It may well have been, as is often the case, just a chance conversation with someone along the way.



This elegant and respectful memorial honors those from the area who served in a number of wars including, of course, Vietnam.



What makes this tribute most remarkable, I think, is that it is from the students of the community and is located upon the grounds of a local school.



Located not too very far from Newport, the Wakefield Elementary School is like any other. The day I visited, kids were in class, on the playground, and participating in the normal school day. There were people coming and going and even a few folks sitting at a nearby picnic table. I was struck by the dichotomy of the events; happy children and honoring those who had served and in some cases, died.



Blue Star Mothers are also remembered here, too.



Next time, on the 24th, we will travel to South Carolina. So, join me there, as always, at 9:00am,

To see other memorials from Rhode Island, or any state, click the sate name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment