Monday, October 5, 2026

Kentucky X

Kentucky Vietnam Memorial, Frankfort.
 

The Kentucky memorial in Frankfort has always been one of my very favorite sites. It is a masterpiece of design and thought. Check it out here.

James Dwight Anderson

PFC James Anderson was lost in the Quang Ngai Province to "other explosive device." He was lost on August 15, 1969. He was awarded the Bronze Star for Valor. I could find no other details.

Ernest Wayne Rutherford

PFC Ernest Rutherford was lost to "misadventure, friendly fire" in the Thua Thien Province on July 11, 1968.  He was lost when artillery fire, meant to support, fell short killing several and wounded many others.

Elzie Sanders jr.

SP4 Elzie Sanders was lost to "small arms fire" on November 12, 1967, in the Tay Ninh Province. I read a brief article about how a road in his hometown was renamed for him. In the article it said he was killed rushing into enemy fire to save two other soldiers.

Next time, on October 10th, join me in Louisiana. See you, as always, at 9:00 am.

If you have been following along at all, you will have seen that a number of you, like Joan from Wisconsin, Tony from Texas, Mike from Maryland, Ron from Florida, Tim from Virginia, Molly from Florida (several times now), Colleen from Pennsylvania (now three times!) Elli from Maryland and Peg and Ray from Florida (more than once!), among others have responded to my request to send memorials you have seen in your area or from where you have traveled. I even got one from Ireland.

These generous submissions have helped to expand the knowledge of how we remember and honor the men and women who served in or were lost in Vietnam.

I thank all who have participated.

If YOU have any such photos or knowledge about these memorials and sites not already here, I would love to know of them. Please send them along to the email address on the left side of this page and I will gladly share them here.

I hope all these listed here will encourage YOU to send along photos and join the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment