Thursday, September 10, 2026

Idaho XII


Idaho lost a number of her sons and today as has become my habit, I will honor a few of them.

But first, I fudged on the above statement because the numbers vary so greatly depending on to whom you are listening. The US Army Center of Military History says 137 and as I reported in my first post from Idaho different sites state up to 251. You can see that first post here.

Today, three of them.

William Balt Hunt 

MSG William Hunt was lost on November 4, 1966, in the Tay Ninh Province. He was lost to hostile action, ground casualty. He died "while missing" and his body was never recovered. He was declared dead on April 7, 1976.

James Alton Lockwood

SP4 James Lockwood was lost in the Phu Yen Province on September 17, 1966. He  was killed outright by "multiple fragmentation wounds."

Glen Emery Shropshire

WO1 Glen Shropshire was lost in a chopper crash on July 31, 1967. He was lost at Pleiku and his body was never recovered

These men were all from Sandpoint, Idaho whose population in 1966 is estimated to have been about 4,200. What a tragedy that two of the three lost were never reunited with their families and loved ones.

Next time, on September 15th, join me in Illinois. Sees you, as always, at 9:00 am.

If you have been following along at all, you will have seen that a number of you, like Joan from Wisconsin, Tony from Texas, Mike from Maryland, Ron from Florida, Tim from Virginia, Molly from Florida (several times now), Colleen from Pennsylvania (now three times!) Elli from Maryland and Peg and Ray from Florida (more than once!), among others have responded to my request to send me memorials you have seen in your area or from where you have traveled. I even got one from Ireland!

These generous submissions have help to expand the knowledge of how we remember and honor the men and women who served in or were lost in Vietnam.

If YOU have any such photos or knowledge about these memorials and sites not already here, I would love to know of them. Please send them along to the email address on the left side of this page and I will gladly share them here.

I hope all these listed here will encourage YOU to send along photos and join the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment