Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Pennsylvania XLVI

So, I am back after an unexpected, unscheduled, and unwanted week or so off due to health issues. Seemingly, mostly, resolved now I hope to get back to my regular posting schedule.

Today, as previously promised we return to Pennsylvania.

Reading and Pottstown are only about half an hour apart and yet I am fascinated by the different approaches the artist who created the separate memorials took to creating the their equally remarkable tributes.

Here is a repeat picture of the larger memorial in Reading.

In Reading, the statue of the soldier is stark and somewhat harrowing. I find it almost hard to look at, almost skeletal, haunting. Amazing for so very little detail.


I have found little to explain this approach but one article said the eyes and face of the solitary soldier are covered so that the viewer can see the face that they need to see. Interesting, I'll take it.

In Pottstown, the complete opposite approach. Yet, just as haunting.

The soldier here follows a more recognizable approach: fear, anguish, the 1000 yard stare, beautifully done.

I guess, like so many other things in life, that there are as many interpretations as their are designers or for that matter, viewers. I love them both.

Next time, on October 20th, we will revisit Wisconsin to see a few more pictures from Joan, so join me there, as usual, at 9:00 am.

To see additional memorials from Pennsylvania, or any other state, please click a state name on the left side of this page. Please note that Canada, Ireland, and Puerto Rico have been added to the list.

If you are following along at all, you will have seen that a number of you, like Joan from Wisconsin, Tony from Texas, Mike from Maryland, Ron from Florida, Tim from Virginia and Molly from Florida, among others, have responded to my request to send me memorials you have seen in your area or where you may have traveled. I even got one from Ireland! These submissions help expand the knowledge of how we have remembered the men and women who served or were lost in 'Nam and you help to honor them. If you have any such photos, I would love to see them. Please send them along to the email at the left and I will gladly share them here. Thanks, once again, to all who have contributed.

No comments:

Post a Comment